Newscoop >= 3.5.2
Get it working in only 5 steps
A new reCAPTCHA plugin is available, users can enable reCAPTCHA service to protect against bots from abusing their sites. Here is how to do it:
- Download the recaptcha plugin from our site in sourceforge: [ link here ]
- Install and enable the plugin through the Plugins Manager in Newscoop (Option in the top menu is PLUGINS -> Manage Plugins)
- Configure the plugin, options are:
- Enable for comments:
- Enable for subscriptions:
- Enter the public key:
- Enter the private key:
- Say your templates you are gonna use the recaptcha plugin. It is simple, just include this template tag within your form:
- comments form:
- subscriptions form:
- Finally, enable the use of CAPTCHA for your publication in the Publication configure screen.
Generating the reCAPTCHA key
First, you can read what reCAPTCHA is here: http://www.google.com/recaptcha
Then, make sure to create the proper key for your site here: https://www.google.com/recaptcha/admin/create
If you have used CAPTCHA in Newscoop before to secure the posting process for the comments you had probably built your comments form with something like this:
Now, in order to use the reCAPTCHA plugin you need to replace the code above with only this:
Could I still use the default CAPTCHA validation?
Yes. The built-in CAPTCHA validation in Newscoop is still available and works exactly the same as before.